If you are thinking of using Adderall, maybe it is because you feel pressured by parents, teachers, or peers to do better in school. Maybe you are planning to use it to help give you a boost of energy so that you can stay up all night and study. If you are hoping that Adderall will help you focus and concentrate, you might actually get what you ask for and more—and you won’t like it. You will concentrate and focus for sure. But the problem is that you will concentrate and focus on porn, masturbating, your accelerated heart rate, and obsessing over ideas and people. As a result, all of this hyper-concentrated-focus will make it impossible for you to finish the work that you are supposed to do.
According to SAMHSA, full-time college students were twice as likely to have used Adderall non-medically as their counterparts who were not full-time students, according to a National Survey on Drug Use and Health report released in 2009 (1).
Adderall is a drug designed to stimulate the area of the brain responsible for concentration—in brains where this area works slowly. This is the condition that causes ADD, or Attention Deficit Disorder. So, if you have this kind of brain dysfunction, Adderall will boost your brain into normal speed. But if your brain is already working at normal speed, Adderall will throw it into over-drive: instead of concentration and focus, you will go into Obsession and Compulsion. Instead of becoming a focused person, you will become an obsessed and compulsive one.
And then it gets worse.
After sustained use, you will discover that even when the effects of Adderall become negative, and your compulsive porn watching, masturbating, and obsessing screw up your work, relationships, and school—you will have a hard time stopping it. Instead, you will actually begin to seek more, become preoccupied with having enough, and tell yourself and others outrageous explanations about why you really need it. Examples of these completely ridiculous reasons are:
- It’s a prescribed medication.
- It’s legal.
- You need it to function.
The problem with these explanations.
- You can always find a doctor that prescribes you anything if you lie to them about your symptoms, and hide from them the truth about how the medication affects you. If you are prescribed Adderall ask yourself if you really do suffer from ADD or if you have been exaggerating to get a prescription. Are you kidding yourself into believing you really need this medication when you know you have not been honest?
- Legality has nothing to do with drug abuse. The most addictive and deadliest drugs in the world are nicotine, alcohol, and legal drugs made by pharmaceutical companies. More people die from abusing them than from abusing illegal drugs. Many people feel that overusing their prescribed medications is inconsequential in fact, according to one study by the American Academy of Pediatrics, many Ivy League students asked don’t view ADHD medication misuse as cheating (2).
- If you really needed it, it would not be turning you into an obsessive-compulsive person that is experiencing negative life consequences.
Do not use any drugs to study for your next round of tests. But don’t just not use Adderall – try a different approach.
- Set a regular sleep and wake schedule
- Eat three meals a day at the same time
- Plan daily study blocks well ahead of the stressful last minute study week
If you end up using Adderall then you may have a drug problem and you will need to address it.
At some point one of two things will happen
You will continue to use Adderall until you lose your job and your relationships and get kicked out/or fail out of school. Then you will have to get help stopping.
You stop bullshitting yourself and pay attention to the reality that with Adderall you are engaging in compulsive behaviors that are not normal, that you are obsessing, and that you are failing at the very tasks that the Adderall was supposed to help you with. Then you act like a smart human being, and you seek help to stop—and protect the most important things in your life.
In order to stop using Adderall, look for a treatment center that is not a “rehab.” Look for a center that is interested in solutions to human problems, and that doesn’t label everyone walking through their doors as an “addict.” You need professional, rational, and scientifically validated treatment.
The first step of this treatment is detox. You have to stop the use in a protected environment, away from the places that you use. In a detox you will also receive medical help to deal with the anxiety and confusion that you will initially feel—don’t worry, it won’t last long.
Then you engage in an effective process of therapy, exercise, and self-discovery to identify what the deal was: How did you get into the Adderall? What were you after? What did you think it was going to do for you? Through the exploration caused by these questions you will clarify your crazy thinking, and will substitute it with rational-realistic-non-bullshit beliefs that will move you to meet your goals and reach success for real.
(1) SAMHSA – Nonmedical Use of Adderall® among Full-Time College Students
(2) AAP Article – Many Ivy League Students Don’t View ADHD Medication Misuse as Cheating
3 Replies to “When You Use Adderall…”
Can anyone answer this? I was prescribed Adderall 120 mg a day.Shortly after I got caught shop lifting.I tried walking out of the store with a basket full of items. Spent 2 weeks in jail. Could that have been the reason?
After having 10mg of Adderall prescribed to me, I took 2 pills at once before my Final EXAM! I then I decided to masturbate before doing my work. I got it hard as normal, started masturbating as normal and slowly lost my boner over the course of 30 min after taking the pills. After loosing my boner I WAS OBBSESSED with regaining my boner back and masturbated for about 2 hours until I magically got a semi and was able to finish. Right after I read this arrticle and holy cow was it accurate about OBBSSEING with porn. I had 2 montiors with about 100+ tabs of porn pulled up. After reading this, honestly I’m never doing that again, and cut all port out of my life for as long as I can.